Arthritis and Osteoporosis
provides support and information to people with arthritis as well as their families and friends
promotes awareness of the challenges facing people with arthritis across the community, and to leaders in business, industry, and government
funds research into potential causes and possible cures as well as better ways to live with arthritis, and
- aims to keep health professionals such as physiotherapists, occupational therapists, and community nurses informed.
Osteoporosis Australia aims to reduce fractures and improve bone health in the community and to improve awareness about the disease in the Australian community.
The organisation focuses on the following key objectives:
- Increase awareness of osteoporosis throughout Australia
- Improve prevention and management strategies
- Increase GP and other health professionals understanding of osteoporosis
- Act as an effective lobby voice in federal Government
- Fund research in bone metabolism and related issues
Scleroderma, or systemic sclerosis, is a chronic connective tissue disease generally classified as one of the autoimmune rheumatic diseases. The purpose of our association is to:
- promote scleroderma awareness on a National basis
- disseminate information about scleroderma
- fund and coordinate scleroderma research on a National basis
- advocate for improved and ongoing support for scleroderma patients
Scleroderma Australia is managed by an Executive with delegates from each State organisation. Our mission is fulfilled through:
- Educational seminars and information for patients
- State-based support groups
- Support for scleroderma research
- Website with news and information
- Centralised message bank, (02) 9990 5159
(calls usually returned within 24 hours)
- Annual National awareness campaign
Arthritis ACT incorporating Osteoporosis ACT
Aiming to improve the quality of life of people in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) who are suffering from arthritis, osteoporosis and other musculoskeletal conditions. It was established in 1977 and is affiliated with Arthritis Australia and other State and/or Territory Arthritis Foundations.
A variety of support groups meet regularly. These provide the opportunity to share information and encouragement in living effectively with a chronic condition.
Arthritis & Osteoporosis Western Australia
The objective of Arthritis & Osteoporosis WA is to reduce the incidence and disabling effects of arthritis, osteoporosis and related conditions in the people of Western Australia.
Formed in 1972 as the Western Australian Arthritis & Rheumatism Foundation, the organisation changed in 1991 to reflect its new name and updated range of services.
Their Whyllie Arthritis Centre houses a range of fantastic services for local clients including a Hydrotherapy Pool; Gymnasium; Seminar & Board Rooms; Cafe; and Book Shop.
Arthritis & Osteoporosis Northern Territory
Run chiefly by volunteers, Arthritis & Osteoporosis NT undertakes many different activities throughout the year to raise the profile of arthritis and osteoporosis, as well as improve the support and understanding of these conditions by not only sufferers but the general public and health professionals alike.
- They publish a quarterly newsletter ''joiNTed
- Provide a Telephone Advisory Service (Mon-Thur)
- Provide personalised Info Packs
- Assist GP's Territory wide
- Host Challenging Pain Self-Management courses
- Speak to local Community Groups
- Actively support Arthritis Awareness Week, including public education displays in local shopping centres
+ much more
Arthritis New South Wales
Arthritis New South Wales:
- Provide support, advice & information to people with arthritis or other musculoskeletal conditions and their families
- Enable people to develop self-management skills
- Promote community awareness of the issues associated with arthritis and other musculoskeletal conditions
- Work with health professionals to improve management of arthritis and early diagnosis
- Provide seminars and community programs for the community and health professionals
- Support research into the causes and treatment of arthritis and other musculoskeletal conditions.
Arthritis Queensland is the peak body representing Queenslanders with arthritis. Our objectives are:
To advocate on behalf of Queenslanders with arthritis and osteoporosis for better services, programs and support
- To advocate for better understanding of the impact of arthritis and osteoporosis in the wider community
- To provide (or link) Queenslanders with arthritis and osteoporosis to the best possible information, services and support so that they can take charge of their condition.
- To encourage cooperation with government, fundraising bodies, project development, staff training, planning health economics, state based affiliates to ensure better outcomes for Queenslanders with arthritis and osteoporosis.
- To develop common systems to reduce costs, compare data and share resources with relevant affiliate organisations.
- To find a cure by funding research into the nature, causes, treatment, diagnosis and management of arthritis and osteoporosis.
For information and support call free Helpline on 1800 011 041
The Arthritis Foundation of Tasmania Inc (formerly known as the Rheumatism and Arthritis Foundation Tasmania – RAFT) was established in 1976.
Arthritis Tasmania (which incorporates Osteoporosis Tasmania) is a not-for-profit organization reliant upon grants funding, sponsorships, bequests, donations and other types of corporate and community support.
All funds raised go to support arthritis research and the provision of information and support services for people affected by arthritis, osteoporosis and related conditions, including quality training and education programs, community based healthy lifestyle and self-management programs.